Our hospitals are less than 30 minutes away from the capital, yet sitting on the edge of the rural home counties, we are ideally placed to choose between the fast pace of one of the greatest cities in the world and the pastoral charms of a county famous for its pretty villages and extensive coastline. Plus our local areas are steeped in history and full of great attractions.
There’s so much to do and see in our local areas. Here are a few ideas of things to do in your spare time.
- Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park – stand on top of the world’s tallest structure, explore the beautiful parklands by foot and by boat, or dive in at the London Aquatics Centre and share a part of Olympic history.
- Valentines Park – this award-winning park and boating lake surrounds Valentines Mansion and Gardens, where the Great British Bake Off was filmed
- Westfield Stratford – shop until you drop, here and at the many other local shopping centres
- FORE! Play a round at Ilford Golf Club or try out Moby Adventure Golf Course, the largest of its kind in the UK
- Royal Gunpowder Mills – discover 300 years of explosive history
- Romford Dog Stadium – one of the best tracks in the business and offers a great night out.
Getting out and about
Getting to us and getting around is easy, plus we offer season ticket loans to help you out too.
- Romford Station is a ten minute walk from Queen’s Hospital, connecting you to London and Essex
- Newbury Park tube station is a short bus ride from King George Hospital, connecting you to the London Underground tube network.
Both sites are served by several bus routes and main arterial roads.
Prefer to cycle?
Both sites have locked cycle racks and our Bike Users Group offers a forum to meet colleagues and improve facilities. It is supported by Occupational Health and Wellbeing, the Sustainability Department, Havering Council and the Community Police.
Travel will get even easier with Crossrail, which will provide quicker, more direct travel opportunities across the whole of London. Services will include Liverpool Street and Paddington stations to Shenfield station.
Jet off to Europe or further afield
We also have three international airports within easy reach!
Schools and colleges
We have great schools in the area, with a number of top private schools, complemented by a high standard of state schools. Three of the top ten schools in Essex are within ten miles of our hospitals. There are also further education colleges in each of our boroughs.